Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Where it goes down Wednesday

Summer school (ESY) ended on Friday, August 5th which meant that on Monday, August 8th I headed to school to start prepping for the new school year...which doesn't start until September 12th. I know that sounds like an excessive amount of time, but considering I'm getting a NEW classroom with NEW kids, there is a lot to do.

On Day 1 I decided to shoot a little video of what I walked into...remnants of the previous teacher. 


After 2 weeks of cleaning I finally have my blank canvas to begin building on. It's still a GIANT work in progress. 



The room is no where near completion but it did get a good cleaning, all  the Velcro got  striped off the walls, the white board was removed, and the floors were given a thorough scrubbing.  In addition, I made final decisions about furniture and its placements.  Several sketches, 3 trips to IKEA, 1 trip to Lowes, and 2 trips to The Container Store I have all the items I need to start designing my curriculum and lesson plans. I'm a firm believer that you can't plan instruction if you don't know where the kids are going to sit and how the room is going to flow. 

I wish I had "after" photo's to share with everyone, but I still have 3 weeks left before the students return to school and I have a lot of work left to do. I hope you stop by again in a couple weeks to see the finished product. Until then, here's a little preview of something my husband has been helping me construct for my classroom....


Did I mention that my room only measures 23' x 20'???? How much space do you have to work with this year? Thanks for stopping by and Happy Hoppin'!





7 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and can't wait to see you pictures. Enjoy your next 3 weeks!
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wonder what you are building ;) Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...nothing like a clean, blank space to get you motivated! What are you going to do to the window? Hated the knotted up curtains but the open windows I'm sure will be a big distration for the kids? Can't imagine those partitions in there...it already looks small...can't wait for the final reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the video idea! I went into my classroom today and was quickly depressed with all the work that I need to do. Unfortunately I can't begin until l"hopefully" next Wednesday. In services start next Thursday :( . I did help my best friend whose room was done. Oh the life of a teacher!

    http://secondgradesidekicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've done a lot of work. THankfully, I have my room from last year,but I'm sure it's going to need some work, I'm just too lazy to do it yet. Good idea with the video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your finish pics.
    Enjoy your last few weeks of holidays.


    candydishtreats.blogspot.com
    primaryprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh boy!! cant wait to see it finished

    ReplyDelete