Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teacher Talk Tuesday

Ten things they don't teach you in College 
Special Education Edition

10- how to teach a student how to blow their nose.(You can read the story behind this here)

9- how to control your gag reflex in response to the sights and smells of toilet training. I find that ripping off a piece of baby wipe and secretly putting it up my nostrils helps significantly. 

8- how to hold your lunch and eat it with one hand while feeding a student their lunch with your other hand- because most special education teachers don't get a lunch break. 

7- how not to laugh when you accidentally curse and then a student whose suppose to be non-verbal repeats it.

6- how to sing every task analysis to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it" because that's the only way the students learn. (see below for the lyrics of hand washing).

5- how you will spend more money on supplies and equipment for your classroom than you did on your entire college education.

4- how to resist the urge to conform to the other teachers and put a movie on in the classroom every Friday. (I've seen this happen with at least one teacher  at every  school I've taught at)

3- how to  manage your para-professionals who are anything but professional. I've had some of the best and some of the worst para's in my short teaching career thus far and I don't ever remember talking about them in college and the crucial role they play. I was a para before I became a teacher and think it should almost be mandatory that all special education teachers be one before the can teach.

2- how to cope when a student passes away...3 months into your first teaching job.(This is true and happened to me and I will never forget it)

1- how to mange both a professional and personal life at the same time.It's hard, but I seem to have the hang of it most of the time....but it took me a few years to find my balance. 




Lyrics to Hand Washing- sing to the tune of "If your happy and you know it"

If your happy and you know it turn on the water
If your happy and you know it turn on the water
If your happy and you know it then your hands will surely show it
If your happy and you know it turn on the water

If your happy and you know it get some soap
If your happy and you know it get some soap
If your happy and you know it then your hands will surely show it 
If your happy and you know it get some some

If your happy and you know it rub them together
If your happy and you know it rub them together
If your happy and you know it then your  hands will surely show it 
If your happy and you know it rub them together

If your happy and you know it rinse them off
If your happy and you know it rinse them off
If your happy and you know it then your hands will surely show it
If your happy and you know it rinse them off

If your happy and you know it dry them off
If your happy and you know it dry them off
If your happy and you know it then your hands will surely show it
If your happy and you know it dry  them off

Like all task analysis you can make then easier or harder depending on the needs of your student. For the student I had to sing this too I always had to finish with the REAL version of the song after he was done. 

Happy Teaching!

9 comments:

  1. Darn you...now I have that song in my head...
    All of the above also apply to being a parent...funny how we offer no education for that! So good to have you back blogging ;}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post. I can't image losing a student-that must have been horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #10 is so funny....I hate runny noses!

    #3--SO TRUE. So TA's are fabulous and some are....well....not so fabulous. It can be difficult, especially if you're young and they try to take control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courntey- Thanks for the post on my blog. Looks like you are going lots of great things over here. Best wishes on a great school year! Sarah

    http://sktriebel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the task analysis song. lol Clever! :) I could relate to ALL of these (except #2 - that would be extremely difficult). I will be following you from now on! :) I love finding fellow Special Education Teachers out here in blog world. I'm new at blogging and always searching for new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment, and I love the tips! They really should at least try to prepare you for these things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comment! I enjoyed reading your list. I can't imagine losing a student --- how awful that must have been! :( I hope you have a great school year this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice! I can't imagine losing a student either. So sad.

    And boy, oh, boy...I make up so many songs to that tune too! haha Hope you have a great year!

    Ms. Preppy's Adventures in Primary and Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cortney,

    This is so TRUE! I love it. Thank you for putting my thoughts into words! LOL I think I will make a pop art poster out of that if you do not mind? Thank you for finding my site so I could find yours! It is awesome. (I teach LD, DD, ED, SL and Autism students in my Kinder class). Enough said, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete